Monday, November 19, 2012

A tip for you curly haired ladies...

So I have been hearing how amazing coconut oil is as a moisturizer, for acne problems, as a hair mask and even for great health benefits when taken internally.  I first bought coconut oil as an attempt to manage my acne.  It has anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-inflamatory properties; not to mention that it is also very moisturizing.

Unfortunately, I did not get much success as an acne treatment.  I didn't see much improvement in my skin, not even as a moisturizer; it wasn't hydrating enough to compensate for the way my other acne products were drying my skin.

I decided to keep it and use it as a hair mask since I also suffer from hair build up and no matter which shampoo I use, I don't seem to find much success.  My hair is also curly, so it is very dry and washing my hair every day to avoid buildup was also a problem.  The hair mask didn't workout too great because I just don't seem to have the time or patience to add this routine into my schedule lol... so I gave that up for a while.

I recently started to see a lot of split ends in my hair due to straightening it so much so I decided to wear my hair curly more often.  I had ran out of hair product for curly hair so I decided to pull out my coconut oil and use that has hair product.  I have been doing that for a couple of months and my hair looks amazing.  The product build up is gone, my hair is shiny and no longer dry, my split ends are less visible, and my hair has grown so much.  On top of that, I just love what the coconut oil does to my curls, they look amazing!

I'm not sure how this would work on straight hair, I think for those of you who have straight hair, I would just recommend using it as a hair mask.  Just melt it in your hands, massage throughout your hair   and leave it in for about 10-15 minutes and just shampoo right after.

If you are using it for curly hair as hair product, just melt it in your hands and apply until you feel you have covered all your hair, I add a bit of hairspray after too.   It doesn't give your hair that wet look, it just leaves you with very nice, defined curls... you'll love it...


You can find it at your local grocery store.  
Make sure you buy the organic, unrefined coconut oil so you get the most nutrients out of it.



1 comment:

  1. Are you using some type of cleanser? Cleansers may be to drying for the coconut oil to compensate for. Try using the oil cleansing method then use the coconut oil as a moisturizer.

    ReplyDelete